This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Ventrilo VS Mumble (Same quality setting)

dke-

Ventrilo VS Mumble capped at 35 000 kbits, there's no argue who is the quality winner, ventrilo comes on top by far. However mumble does have lower latency. In the FAQ it says Mumble is a "Low Latency High Quality voice communication" I'd say it's Low Latency Low Quality, cause no matter what i do i can't make it sound as good as ventrilo using the same bandwidth settings. I'm guessing this has to do with the Low Latency & Codec used by mumble. I don't like the fact that mumble's codec auto "Clips" when people voice reach a certain DB output, it's good to protect the ears, but this combined with the fact that mumble attempts to adjust the volumes on all users depending on their DB output makes is really hard to hear what people say sometimes. Is there a way to change the codec to not have a DB "Roof" or just change it to not Clip if the roof is reached? Also i'd like to know if it's possible to disable the auto volume adjustment for mumble, it's a really nice idea, but it works bad cause the volume adjusts to slowly.

Thanks!

can I ask how you tested this?

because if you set a mumble server-side cap of 35kbps, that would limit the total bandwidth by the user to 35kpbs including IP, UDP, positional audio, and protocol overheads. This means the likely codec quality for mumble would be 15kbps (or 20 if positional audio is turned off). By contrast, ventrilo uses codec quality. So with a ventrilo setting of 35kbps, you get a codec quality of 35kbps but the actual bandwidth used is much higher.

What it boils down to is, it's really difficult to compare like with like, especially using server-side caps, especially on mumble where things like audio-per-packet and positional audio can change how much of the bandwidth is available to the codec.

You're right, i didn't take that into account when i tested this.

However, i'm still bothered by the clipping that occurs that people speak to loud, it seems to happen a lot. I'll try to record it so i could give a better explanation of how it sounds.

Thanks for the support.

• Administrators

Also i'd like to know if it's possible to disable the auto volume adjustment for mumble, it's a really nice idea, but it works bad cause the volume adjusts to slowly.

Are you talking about decreasing volume of other programs?

One can disable that in the settings, audio output tab.

I believe this might be the case, but for some reason "While Other Users Talk" is grey for me, i can't "Uncheck" it. Could this be the issue? I also recorded a small clip of an example how the "clipping" sounds, it's usually only in the beginning of the broadcast, or while users are being loud.

Take a listen here: http://dkeserver.se/stuff/audio/clippingnoise.mp3 (warning pretty loud but you'll get the point)

This happens all the time when people speak, and it seems to be for everyone on the server, it's really annoying and makes conversation dreadful. Is it server side or is it clientside? What could be causing this? We don't have this problem on ventrilo on the same quality settings.