This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Noise reduction can be quite impressive

N8LHG

Just wanted to drop a note to show my support for some of the abilities within mumble. I channel a lot of analog radio transmissions through mumble to allow monitoring across a private mumble channel, and I have to say that once the "noise cancellation" kicks in (about a second or two), the voice within that noise cleans up considerably compared to the original audio source. I know nothing about the mumble method, but I've heard some pretty impressive results. Thanks to all those who have created this app, I've been using it for decades and greatly appreciate its abilities!

On 12/7/2021 at 3:15 AM, Krzmbrzl said:

Great to hear that you are seeing (or rather: hearing) such good results 😄

What noise cancel method are you using? RNNoise? (should be visible in the settings - at least from 1.4.x onwards)

At the source, the audio input processing dialog. The simple noise suppression slider is all it takes. The only negative I have is it takes several seconds to actually kick in. I assume there is some kind of processing going on to decide if its noise or not. The voice takes on a slight echo, but the noise being gone is a lot nicer. The noise is a simple radio white noise sound, just constant "shhhhhhh" noise.

Can you explain the differences between the RNNoise button and without, and what the pros and cons are of each?

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, N8LHG said:

Can you explain the differences between the RNNoise button and without, and what the pros and cons are of each?

I can only tell you that RNNoise is (to some extent) based on machine-learning. Other than that I have no clue either xD

On 12/10/2021 at 11:06 AM, Krzmbrzl said:

I can only tell you that RNNoise is (to some extent) based on machine-learning. Other than that I have no clue either xD

I'll be honest, the radio button RNNoice set to OFF works better IMHO. I'll send an audio file to let you hear how it works. You will hear noise for the first few seconds, then it clears up purely due to your mumble noise reduction. I think you will understand why I'm impressed. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 2:45 AM, Krzmbrzl said:

Yeah, but my guess would be that this is not possible since the noise suppression first has to figure out a "noise profile" in order to differentiate between noise and actual audio.

I still consider it quite impressive. I don't believe any other voice over IP gaming system is this sophisticated. I've used ventrilo, and even had discord for a while. Geezz, I don't know what the attraction to discord is all about, unless you love that social media feel... Not for me... With mumble, I love the local control, encryption, dependability, and hidden technical Easter eggs like the noise reduction. Mumble is so under-rated IMHO.