This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Annoying background noise

webster2

Hey everyone,

first of all, thank you for this great software, Mumble is awesome!

Unfortunately, I've got some terrible background noise when using Mumble. I don't hear it, but it's really annoying for the people I'm talking to. Actually they hear it when I'm NOT talking at all ("Transmission" is set to "Continuous", I don't like "Push to talk" or "Voice activity" that much). I've recorded it, so you know what I'm talking about: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2974685/mumble-noise.wav

It's getting quieter when I'm talking and it's getting louder when I don't talk.

I don't have something like this when recording sounds in Audacity. Even Skype and Teamspeak are working perfectly, so I assume it's a problem with Mumble. :(

I've got a VIA HD Audio onboard-soundchip and I've updated the drivers, but to no avail...

Setting the "Amplification" down to "1.00" makes this noise quieter, but it's still there and I can't get rid of it.

Can anyone help me?

best regards

Webster

Edit: I noticed that even when I turn off my mic using the switch at my headset, I still got this noise. When the mic is completely unplugged, the noise is gone. The input frequency of my mic is set to 48 kHz.

I even tried another mic...same problem... :(

Yeah, I ran through it several times. But I don't think that this is the problem. I even hear the noise in the "device selection" screen when trying the audio wizard again. No matter how I set the sliders, I still hear this noise.

I have this problem with Windows 7 as well as with Linux.

I've finally solved this issue now.

I noticed when I detached the cable for the speakers/headphones, the noise was gone. The cable doesn't fit perfectly in the onboard connector on my mainboard. So when the others hear the annoying noise again, I just plug the speakers/headphones cable out and in again - the noise is gone.

I don't know how this can cause the noise and I don't know how it is even possible that the noise doesn't come up in Skype and Audacity. Maybe Skype filters it out automatically, but Audacity...?

Anyway, Mumble is working great now and I'm just posting this if anyone else has the same problem and can't find a solution.

best regards

webster2

I had a similar issue that only appeared when I added a usb device for my microphone (my game sounds play through a sound card to my speakers).

I solved my issue through a combination of updating drivers and fiddling with various settings on the usb device to which the microphone was connected.