This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

1.4.230 not updating properly

N8LHG

Folks, while trying to upgrade 1.3.4 to 1.4.230, the install goes fine, however, mumble is not identifying properly and still shows as 1.3.4. Did the update not get properly updated, or what could be going on?

*** Edit: Wait, is it just the client, no murmur? Also, some installs won't execute after install windows 10 (Windows 11 installs seem to work ok) Also noticed you built another dir (client) instead of using the mumble dir:

signal-2022-01-18-012341_001.jpg

Edited by N8LHG

9 hours ago, Krzmbrzl said:

You have to completely remove 1.3.4 before installing 1.4. The upgrade path is indeed unfixably broken. We forgot to mention that on our website though...

So is murmur absent from this install? I don't want to mess with the server if its absent. Too much going on to completely uninstall that piece of it. Also, is it possible to simply move the client directory into the standard mumble directory?

Edited by N8LHG
Add additional comment

12 hours ago, N8LHG said:

So is murmur absent from this install? I don't want to mess with the server if its absent. Too much going on to completely uninstall that piece of it. Also, is it possible to simply move the client directory into the standard mumble directory?

Ok, I've spent a few hours trying to figure this out. I have been unsuccessful installing the client on any windows 10 machine. I'm starting to feel pretty stupid here, for I've been running mumble for like a decade or more. I, for the life of me, can't get the newest 1.4 to install properly on any windows 10 machine. I've tried wiping mumble out, fresh install, even copying the client to the mumble directory, even tried to install the server, with no luck. Continues to give me "can't find dll" errors.

Has ANYONE successfully been able to install 1.4 on a windows 10 machine? Both server and client? I would like to hear from them please.

For the record, it installs fine on windows 11. Any info on why this is happening would be appreciated, for I'm getting a little frustrated.

• Administrators

I can confirm on a relatively new install of Windows 10 21H2 that 1.4.230 installs and runs properly. I have the Visual C++ 2015-2020 Redistributable installed, as well. Check that you have that installed. If you have uninstalled 1.3.x completely, then try a repair install of 1.4.230. It should fix any shortcuts. Make sure your AV software isn't blocking access to the dll blatantly or silently. Let us know if you get the dll message again.

40 minutes ago, ZeroAbility said:

I can confirm on a relatively new install of Windows 10 21H2 that 1.4.230 installs and runs properly. I have the Visual C++ 2015-2020 Redistributable installed, as well. Check that you have that installed. If you have uninstalled 1.3.x completely, then try a repair install of 1.4.230. It should fix any shortcuts. Make sure your AV software isn't blocking access to the dll blatantly or silently. Let us know if you get the dll message again.

Outstanding. Thanks for the update. Will future updates have these issues worked out? In other words, should I wait to update the murmur server for the next update?

Our server is a Dell 1U rack server on a fiber optic internet connection that I really didn't want to experiment with. Knowing that the C++ 2015-2020 library is needed gives me some direction on the upgrade. I'll update my progress as soon as I can get back to the rack location. Again, thank you for the help.

• Administrators

Discussions during team meetings about upgrading have been fairly consistent in the regard that you should have config and database backups as a best practice for the client and server installs. As long as you plan the downtime and remove 1.3.x first, then you won't have to do a repair install with 1.4.x. Future stable releases should upgrade normally and the client and server will have their own installers, going forward.

Ok, the short answer is, the cause was the absents of the Visual C++ Redistributable. You may want to consider adding it to the install? Or at least make it an option? I'm pretty sure others will be talking about this as they slowly begin to try the upgrade.

I downloaded the 2015-2022 (latest) from Microsoft, installed, and without needing to repair or reinstall, mumble 1.4.230 executed flawlessly.

I also updated the server machine after the visual c++ Redistributable, and it updated fine as well with one exception, I had to move the murmur.ini file to the new server directory in order for the server to grab the assorted parms, welcome message, etc, to be recognized by the new configuration.

Hope this info helps out folks. I doubt unless these windows 10 machines have that c++ library installed to satisfy some other app by coincidence, a lot of folks trying to upgrade are going to be lost as I was.

• Administrators

Ok, the short answer is, the cause was the absents of the Visual C++ Redistributable. You may want to consider adding it to the install? Or at least make it an option? I'm pretty sure others will be talking about this as they slowly begin to try the upgrade.

We have a pinned topic in the Technical section of the forum as well as a blurb on the website now. Since it's not technically FOSS, I think our position is to inform but not supply. I will ask for clarification during a team meeting.

I also updated the server machine after the visual c++ Redistributable, and it updated fine as well with one exception, I had to move the murmur.ini file to the new server directory in order for the server to grab the assorted parms, welcome message, etc, to be recognized by the new configuration.

I was not aware of that and I will bring that up, as well. 

Thank you for the feedback!