This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

How do I get the newest version on my Raspberry Pi?

Timusius

I've been running a mubmle server for years using a Raspberry Pi.

The Raspberry Pi runs the server perfectly and almost doesn't even use any CPU, even on the early old versions of the Raspberry Pi.

Now with the 1.4.230 and the interesting listen feature that requires the server to be this newest version, I really would like to update to this.

However, even with the newest version of Raspberry Pi OS the newest version of mumble-server (as they call the package) is 1.3.4

I read this post, that sort of related to the same problem, (just a year ago with other versions.)

So, I asked in the Raspberry Pi OS Forums on how to ask for an update of the version in their repository, but the answer was that it was highly unlikely that the version in their repo would be updated. (https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?p=1971367#p1971367)

Then I tried to follow the steps to compile mumble myself, but the steps mentioned on https://github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/blob/master/docs/dev/build-instructions/build_linux.md do not work for me. (Package qt5-default is not available on raspberry pi repository.)

So how can I do it?

Can we get a PPA for Raspbian/bullseye ?

Or instructions for compiling that work on Raspberry Pi? (Or how to cross compile.) that can be followed by a Linux noob like myself 😄

• Administrators

If you don't want to self-compile, there is also a Docker image available: https://github.com/mumble-voip/mumble-docker

The art of getting it to compile on your system, is figuring out how the packages are named in your distro. It can be a bit tedious to search through the repos to locate the proper names though... The strategy here would be to see a name like qt5-default and then recognizing that the necessary component is actually Qt5, so you'd have to search for Qt5-related packages in your repos.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm..I tried messing around with it, however for the raspberry I am by far not knowledgable enough to do it.

A big annoyance is that it's all the QT things that are missing, but the server shouldn't even require any GUI stuff as far as I know

I also found it a bit strange that there is just one build.. apparently for both the client and server? At the same time?

So for now I didn't want to bother anymore. Users will have to live without the new Listen function until it some day is easily available.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Timusius said:

but the server shouldn't even require any GUI stuff as far as I know

Qt does provide far, far more than only GUI. And that are the parts that are currently still needed for building the server. A long-term goal of ours is to remove this dependency but for now it's there.

16 hours ago, Timusius said:

I also found it a bit strange that there is just one build.. apparently for both the client and server? At the same time?

Yes, by default the client and server are built in a single build. If you want only the server, use -Dclient=OFF when invoking cmake.