This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Alien voices - latency?

mzchief

I have been using Mumble for over one year now and regularly have 10-20 users online. For the most part, works perfectly :)

However, the past couple of months, although it seems to be much more frequent lately, I think I'm having latency issues. I am the only user having this problem on a regular basis. I can only describe it as the voices turning Alien. I can barely hear people and have to close Mumble. When I try to re-open it, I usually get (Not Responding) and have to do a system reboot to get back on. When I do return and logon to the Mumble server, my ping is usually between 60-100, compared to 35 normally.

PC specs as follows:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

System Manufacturer: MEDIONPC

Processor: IntelĀ® Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM

Page File: 1679MB used, 4461MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Display Memory: 2295 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1015 MB

Shared Memory: 1279 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

-----------------------------------------------

My current connection status from speedtest.net is here http://www.speedtest.net/result/1710040057.png Although I have to say, it's only good because it's early morning.

When this Alien thing happens, it's usually because I've tried to open another tab in my browser, Google Chrome. I'm usually running World of Warcraft, Google Chrome and Mumble only.

Any ideas on how I can fix this, would be soooo much appreciated! Many thanks.

A friend recommended I uninstall google chrome and reinstall. I did this earlier today. Then same thing happens tonight. I'm on WoW and Mumble, with chrome open, I got to open a new tab in my browser and mumble messes up again :cry:

Although, when I disconnected and reconnected, I did get straight back on with a reasonable ping of 47. Whereas usually I have to reboot to get back on.

Again, any idea/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've been using mumble for a few months now. It's great except for the Alien/robotic voice that others hear me as. I can hear them great but I kept being told that I 'lag' or something that makes my voice sound robotic. I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice now and still no resolve. What else can I do to fix this issue?

Ash