This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

A little help with GRPC

FanteJr

Hello. I'm trying to create an application in Go, using GRPC. Im not acquainted wih RPCs so I have one question, if possible.

The thing here is register a user using only GRPC connection. After adding a user in database (through DatabaseUserRegister function, with name and certificateHash) everything works fine, except the fact in the client that "check" symbol doesn appear. If I reconnect the client, the symbol appears as expected on him.

There is a way to ask client to update client as registered directly through GRPC?

I hope my english is undertandable and thanks in advance, even if any of you cannot answer me.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, FanteJr said:

I'm trying to create an application in Go, using GRPC

Don't. We have just removed gRPC from the Mumble server (will be effective from Mumble version 1.5 onwards). For reasoning and details, see https://github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/pull/5552

Instead, I would recommend to use the ZeroC Ice RPC protocol instead.

6 hours ago, FanteJr said:

There is a way to ask client to update client as registered directly through GRPC?

I am reasonably sure, that this is currently not possible (neither with gRPC nor with Ice). Th authentication check for a user is (afaik) currently only performed, when that user connects to the server.

Thanks for the answer. Thats sad for me, I really would like to develop exclusively in Golang for many reasons, specially resources eficiency and a good execution flow compared with other languages for me; Ice doesn't support it. I was waiting for more than 2 years for official launch of 1.4 just to use grpc.

It seems I'll need to stay with a go client acting like a bot. Dont like that, but will be my only way.

Again, thanks for answer me and sorry to disturb with that.

Edited by FanteJr

• Administrators
2 hours ago, FanteJr said:

sorry to disturb with that.

Nothing to be sorry for 🙂

We might add a revamped gRPC implementation back once we have refactored the general RPC handling the server. Though that is a somewhat big MIGHT at this point /shrug