This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Is mumble free to use, or do you have to pay?

soft_guy

Hi. I'm working on an iOS application (not a game) that needs to have audio communications between two devices on arbitrary networks. I had been thinking of using Game Center's voice chat, but my customer (who I am writing the app for) doesn't want to force his users to have to create a Game Center account to use this feature. So, we are considering the use of Mumble.

If we download the source for mumble and set it up on a Linux server, will my customer have to pay for the use of the mumble server software? I'm confused because they seem to have pricing on the site for "slots", but then I've seen other things that describe it as "free and open source". Can someone enlighten me on how this works?

Thanks!