This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Important Functions For Gaming!

robbybobby

I'm wondering if it's possible, or if you could make it possible, to be in multiple channels simultaneously. It's just too messy to have more than four people in each while playing a clanwar.

It would be great if all the squad leaders in my Battlefield clan could be in two channels simultaneously; one meant for the four members of each squad, and one meant for the leaders so that they can communicate with the leaders of the other squads but without hearing the rest of the members of those squads. This way the squads can keep tactics up between each other without being disturbed by the members of the other squads.

Another very neat addon-function would be if you could make it so that sound-activity is active for particular channels (in this case the particular squad channels) while push-to-talk is active for others (in this case the leader channel) so that you only disturb certain people when you actually need to.

Until Mumble gets more advanced functions like these i honestly don't think it's appropriate for gaming at all. Having every single person in an entire team in the same channel is just plain ridiculous. These two functions alone would make Mumble a professional solution, as opposed to simply "better" in terms of audio quality and bandwidth.

I'm wondering if it's possible, or if you could make it possible, to be in multiple channels simultaneously.

Yes, link the squad channels to a leader channel, create a group called Leaders and add your leaders to it, and then set the ACLs on the leaders channel such that only members of the Leaders group can speak.

If you don't want to setup channels/ACLs you should also be able to do this entirely client-side by using the Whisper feature.

You may be interested in the Wiki, there's plenty of documentation available that covers a variety of scenarios.

Mike Johnson

Command Channel

Providing Mumble Servers since 2009.

I can see the Link function now that i'm a superuser. But i don't understand what that function does. The root channel gets italic font when i use the Link function on any channel. Is this supposed to happen? Or am i supposed to put the squad channels as sub-channels in the leader channel and then link?

Link the squad channels to a leader channel, create a group called Leaders and add your leaders to it, and then set the ACLs on the leaders channel such that only members of the Leaders group can speak.

Wait a minute.. if all of the channels are linked, doesn't that mean that everyone will hear everyone in the other channels anyways? I want regular members to be able to hear only the other members in their squad channel (so three of them) plus their leader. But the leaders should still be able to hear each other even though they are in their respective channels.

I don't understand what you mean with "Link the squad channels to a leader channel". There is no such function; just a general Link, which seems to link all the channels that also have the Link status.

I can see the Link function now that i'm a superuser. But i don't understand what that function does. The root channel gets italic font when i use the Link function on any channel. Is this supposed to happen? Or am i supposed to put the squad channels as sub-channels in the leader channel and then link?

To create a link between channels, join one of the channels you want to link, then right-click the other channels and select the Link option.

Wait a minute.. if all of the channels are linked, doesn't that mean that everyone will hear everyone in the other channels anyways?

Yes it does; and that's why you'll want to set the ACLs on the Leaders channel such that the audio from regular members won't be transmitted through it.

Mike Johnson

Command Channel

But it seems like when i link the squad channels to the leader channel, they also get linked to each other, creating the same effect as if there was only one channel. When i've linked squad channel 1 and 2 to the leader channel, all of the squad channels get italic fonts and the blue radar dish icon when i link squad channel 3 to the leader channel. So it looks like they are all linked to each other, rather than only being linked to the leader channel. :?

Try creating channels like this:

http://i.imgur.com/2DRKF.png

Then link each leader channel to its parent squad channel, and link the leader channels together. Edit the ACL on each squad channel, and add a deny speak permission for the out group - being sure to uncheck the Applies to sub-channels option, like so:

http://i.imgur.com/jdGUZ.png

Then add an ACL for the sub group that allows speak, like so:

http://i.imgur.com/Br5XM.png

This should result in each leader being able to hear and speak to users in their squad channel, as well as the other leaders. Users in the squad channels should only hear other users in their channel, as well as their leader. You may want to set additional ACLs on the leader channels to restrict who can enter them.

Mike Johnson

Command Channel

I've been sitting here for almost 20 mins trying to understand why exactly your guide would solve my problem and how i could write it down in plain text. Correct me if i'm wrong:

By adding deny-speak to the @out group for the squad channels, everyone not in one of the squads channels will not be able to transmit any sound into them, meaning they should be "private". By adding allow-speak to the @sub group for all squad channels, everyone in one of the sub-channels (in this case Leader) will be able to transmit audio into their parent channels. The linking problem i talked about earlier still exists in this scenario, as the squad channels get linked to each other when i link the leader channels together, creating a single channel once again. But by bringing the deny-speak to the @out group it doesn't matter, because this rule is of higher priority than the linking.

But will the people in the parent squad channels be able to transmit audio into the child leader channels then? Because i do want the members to be able to speak to their leader too.

Also, do i really need to link the squad channels to the leader channels? Aren't they already linked by being parent and child? Couldn't i just link the leader channels?

If i got anything wrong there i don't know if i'll ever understand this.

By adding deny-speak to the @out group for the squad channels, everyone not in one of the squads channels will not be able to transmit any sound into them, meaning they should be "private".

That's correct, when we link the channels together it acts like everyone is in one big channel. Since we don't want users in the Squad 2 channel to hear users from Squad 1 or the leader for squad 1, we add the deny-speak permission for everyone outside of the Squad 2 channel.

By adding allow-speak to the @sub group for all squad channels, everyone in one of the sub-channels (in this case Leader) will be able to transmit audio into their parent channels.

Correct again, adding the allow-speak permission for the @sub group means that users in sub-channel Leader will be able to communicate with users in their squad channel. This overrides the deny-speak permission we added earlier (because it's lower on the list).

The linking problem i talked about earlier still exists in this scenario, as the squad channels get linked to each other when i link the leader channels together, creating a single channel once again. But by bringing the deny-speak to the @out group it doesn't matter, because this rule is of higher priority than the linking.

I'm not sure that I understand you. Your second sentence is correct, the deny-speak on the @out group will take precedence over the linking of channels. Feel free to try out the demo server I setup to see for yourself.

But will the people in the parent squad channels be able to transmit audio into the child leader channels then? Because i do want the members to be able to speak to their leader too.

Yes, users in a leader channel should hear anything said in their parent squad channel, as well as the other leader channels.

Also, do i really need to link the squad channels to the leader channels? Aren't they already linked by being parent and child? Couldn't i just link the leader channels?

There is no link between the squad and leader channels by default, you have to add it.

Mike Johnson

Command Channel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again. Sorry for returning to an old topic, but i need some help with this!

I have no idea how this happened, because it did work before, but now everyone in the Leader channels can hear everyone all of a sudden. Everything else is proper. All settings are exactly as you defined them. Do you have any idea what's going on?

• 4 months later...

Hello im new to the forums. I got a question.

With the setup described in the above posts when the leader of squad 1 speaks with the other leader does his squad hear him?

Sorry for if the question is noobish but im totaly new at mumble.