This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

javascript in welcometext

nropiot

Hello,

I'm CEO of a Mumble Hosting Company (around 6 500 active servers hosted), we plan to offer free mumble server limited to 12 slots with commercials.

Actually welcometext parameter only accept strict HTML, my question is :

Do you plan to integrate javascript in the welcometext so hosters could place Google Adsense commercials ?

Best regards

• Administrators

Afaik adsense cannot be placed inside of applications according to google's TOS (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/846740/adsense-equivalent-for-a-desktop-application).

Anyways. We do not plan to add javascript capabilities to the log. It is not using an embedded browser that might offer such features and even if we used one it would open the doors to all kinds of mischief.

• Administrators

I see two - actually three - options here, from the top of my head.

* Display (static) image/ads in welcome text. Setting and updating it would be a manual step, thus would require ad management and adjustment.

* Display ad image/text in the welcome text which is set via a script (over Ice, Mumbles RPC protocoll).

* Regularly send an ad message to connected users - via a script (over Ice).

Using a script may not have the comfort of just embedding adsense HTML+JS code, but would allow the ads to come from a database. That way global management across servers would be possible, in contrast to the manual setting of ads, which would require management of individual servers.