This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Q: Automatic reconnect & Hardware PTT

shaglord

Hey fellow Mumblers..

Like many of you I am addicted to Mumble and now I'm trying to remain online on the move aswell.

I have some questions about the IOS version.

A problem with the android homebrew version is that it does not automatically reconnect and rejoin the last channel after a connection time out or problem. This is a big problem because I like to remain logged in constantly and it's not possible without checking the phone like every 30 min or every 5 min while on the move.

I'm not a fan of apple but I am really jealous that IOS gets an official Mumble app. I was wondering if this IOS version supports automatic reconnect?

Does it have generated voices notifying about changes in the channel/server?

Is there any plan on creating an official android app like this IOS app?

I'm seriously thinking about buying an older iphone just to have stable Mumble on the move and I'm not a big fan of apple.

Last question is about the PTT configurability of this IOS app. Are there any headsets (bluetooth or wired) out there that support using any of their onboard buttons as PTT?

The closest thing to a PTT i've come across is to try and find a headset with some sort of microphone mute button. My guess is however that the button will be worn out fast and that it's not that good for the data costs to let the client transmit constantly.

Thanks for the help clearing these things out. Take care /Mike

Edited by shaglord

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi,

Sorry it took a bit of time for me to respond, I haven't been checking the forums a lot lately.

Hey fellow Mumblers..

Like many of you I am addicted to Mumble and now I'm trying to remain online on the move aswell.

I have some questions about the IOS version.

A problem with the android homebrew version is that it does not automatically reconnect and rejoin the last channel after a connection time out or problem. This is a big problem because I like to remain logged in constantly and it's not possible without checking the phone like every 30 min or every 5 min while on the move.

I'm not a fan of apple but I am really jealous that IOS gets an official Mumble app. I was wondering if this IOS version supports automatic reconnect?

Not yet.

Does it have generated voices notifying about changes in the channel/server?

Nope.

Is there any plan on creating an official android app like this IOS app?

I think we're just missing volunteers. :-)

I'm seriously thinking about buying an older iphone just to have stable Mumble on the move and I'm not a big fan of apple.

Last question is about the PTT configurability of this IOS app. Are there any headsets (bluetooth or wired) out there that support using any of their onboard buttons as PTT

The closest thing to a PTT i've come across is to try and find a headset with some sort of microphone mute button. My guess is however that the button will be worn out fast and that it's not that good for the data costs to let the client transmit constantly.

Thanks for the help clearing these things out. Take care /Mike

No hardware PTT support yet. Mainly a problem of not wanting to override the meaning of the 'Play'/'Pause' events that are broadcast by iOS when you click these. Firstly, you wreck with the 'currently playing' app, and you risk rejection. There might be other ways than what I've looked at, though, so I might be wrong.

As for the mute switch, I suppose you could use voice activation with the mute switch. Not sure how that would feel.

• 10 months later...

Hey mkrautz! Thanks for the reply..

Since my first post there are two new IOS versions out there. The 1.1 and 1.1.1.

Do you or anyone else know if they support:

- Hardware PTT

- Automatic reconnect and channel rejoin

The goal is basically to support the use of Mumble over longer periods of time without having to touch the actual phone. (For example when walking, driving, biking...) This would be a very nice feature and I've been waiting for it for a long time now. I'd gladly donate a 50-100 bucks to enable it.

/s