This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble server clustering

nah4891

Hi. I want to ask mumble sever technician about mumble server clustering. I try to cluster mumble servers for large scalability test. but unfortunately, I have no idea in this problem because I'm beginner in this area.

Can anybody advise me please?

Thanks.

Thanks for your condsideration.

Generally, I think that if server has massive user's connection, it will not be equal to this situation (it's only all my opinion. for example server farm for web service)

Does a mumble server has no limited connection? In mumble source code, the number of maximum user is set to 1000. If I change this value to 20000 or 65536, a mumble server perform well without service degradation or server shut dow (My mumble server use a 100Mbps line) ? or If the user will increase extremely (1000000 user...), how to manage mumber server?

Please advise to me.

Thaks for your advice.

• Administrators

So you are trying to set-up a single server instance that allows a very big number of connected users.

I’m not sure where the limits are, but you need to make sure your per-process filehandle limit is high enough.

See http://mumble.sourceforge.net/FAQ#I.27m_running_many_virtual_servers_or_have_many_users_connected.2C_and_the_server_becomes_unstable

AFAIK there is no way to cluster/merge servers to a single running and connectable instance.

And I don’t think it’s even necessary.

Maybe check where the limits are by trying it out? :)

Thank you very much for your advice.

I have a reason for asking. I think that every system has limited capability. So, if user's connections and requests will increase continuously, physical system must be supplemented for smoothly service. For this I think that I need distributed system (server clustering - logically one system but which is physically composed of multiple server system) for big scale. If it possible, the clients has cross over communications. This means that client A in the mumble server A can communicate with client B in the mumble server B.

For this reason, I try to find mumble server clustering solutions. For clustering, I think that inter-server communication API must be existed. Does anybody know this case?

Thanks.

• Administrators

Because the Mumble server is very efficient, there has never been a case where this would have been necessary.

If you can actually provide data that shows the limits, and those limits are appropriately low, a solution may be worked out. Until then, I (and the other devs probably as well) will stay with: No need for that.

We have heard of more than a thousand people in one channel, with no problems. So I don’t see a need (yet) for clusterability.

Still, a workaround for clustering with the current code-base would be to run multiple servers and then use bots to relay the communication.

AFAIK there is such a bot available in some third party repository. See eveBot for example, which from the description relays to a different channel on the same server, but could be extended rather easily. http://gitorious.org/mumble-scripts/mumble-scripts/trees/master/Non-RPC/eveBot

You’d have to handle the distribution of the connections to the different servers yourself though, through a proxy or let the users connect to the different servers themselves. Userlists would also not be visible across servers instantly, and would require another bot/command scripts for listing them via chatlog for example.

I’d love to hear about high-scale statistics, where you actually test out the limits of Mumble server.

Thank you very much for your comments.

I worry that if a million user or more user will connect to Mumble server concurrently, is one system enough? I plan Mumble client/server as mobile messenger. So, all user can be communicate with others automatically and continuously.

For this reason, I find any solution about Mumble server clustering.

Please give me a additional advice.

Thanks.