This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

PC locks up while starting mumble

nagylaci

Hello Everyone!

A friend of mine just installed Mumble on his pc, and every time, he tries to start it, his computer shows a hourglass for a few seconds, and then locks up completely, the only thing that helps is the reset button. We tried just about everything, older/newer versions, driver update, reinstall, compatibility mode, etc... He's using windows xp, with a sound blaster 5.1 live sound card, and he has no problems running TS or Vent. Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks in advance!

khmm... may I cite too: "We tried just about everything, older/newer versions, driver update, reinstall, compatibility mode, etc..." and "he has no problems running TS or Vent". I didn't say mumble is faulty, but I say that it does something differently. Why is the bad-bad-driver working with anything else, and not with mumble?

One remark at the end: I'm a programmer myself, and saying that " can't freeze your system", is simply not true. Even a "Hello World" program can lock up your system.

• Administrators

If your OS doesn't use protected mode....^^

Anyway, a user-space application itself mustn't be able to crash your system. Sure, it happens. But if it happens it is, by definition, a bug in the underlying, higher privileged, software e.g. drivers, kernel and so on.

We are only using standard APIs, just like the rest. We might, actually forget the might..., use another subset under different conditions here and there which triggers the problems you see only for Mumble (my bet is that he hasn't to much other low latency audio/network software on that machine).

I guess your best chance of locating the problem is getting a kernel dump for the crash.