This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Help setting up simple server/client please

pm47

I need to connect a microphone on my home PC to the speakers on the PC in my workshop so I can hear the doorbell, phone etc.. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04. I've installed Mumble and Mumble-server (Murmur) on my home PC and Mumble on my workshop PC. I've gone through the audio wizard and set up the mcrophone. I've managed to set up the SuperUser and can connect to the server from either PC as a SuperUser. The final step to set up a user and a channel (??) to connect the microphone to the speakers has so far eluded me :-( I'm not exactly a beginner but I'm finding the very technical documentation hard going, can any-one please give me a step by step guide to getting this setup working please ? Is there a beginners guide to mumble anywhere, explaining how it works, users, channels etc. etc. ??

Regards

Paul

• Administrators

I don’t get what you mean with “connect the microphone to the speakers”.

When you’re logged in with one PC as SuperUser, and the other as a normal user as the superuser you can right-click the other one, then select “Register”.

After having registered an account, you can right-click, edit ACL on the root channel, adding that account to the admin ACL group. Then he can admin as well.

To create a channel, with the perms just right-click, add channel.

Thanks for your reply. By 'connect the microphone to the speakers' I meant stream the audio from the microphone on one PC, thru the network to the speakers on the other PC. I've now resolved the problems by uninstalling everything, re-installing from scratch and doing nothing but creating a SuperUser and registering a couple of users, one on each PC. This seems to be all that is necessary to do what I need, so I'm happy :-)

Thanks

Paul