This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Some General Questions about Mumble

niss3

Hello there!

I'm a long time Ventrilo user who has begun thinking about switching to Mumble for my and my fellow clan members gaming needs.

Once I started get used to how Mumble works I got more and more interessted and supprised of how well it works, but here and then some questions come up which I havn't been able to answer.

The group system

For our server I would like a couple of groups. Of course there's the admin group, containing me and maybe one or more persons. Next to that it's our gaming crew, containing about 10 clan members. And last we got one public group with people such as friends and casual standins.

The problem with this group system is that we usually have a couple of "channels". Two main branch channels with one or two underchannels. But when you edit the members of one group, the group only gets changed in the specific room. This means I have to edit all 4 channels each time I want to change 1 person in 1 group because the Groups isn't global.

Is this me doing something wrong? Or is this how the system works?

Could someone explain to me how this Member-Excluded-Inherited system works?

Removing admins

I've been playing around with a server just to learn from doing. One problem I ran into was this with removing admins. I made myself admin by editing "root" with SuperUser and adding myself to the group Admin. Then I connected as myself, made two channels and I was located in the admin group in both channels. When I was finished with the rooms I wanted to remove my admin rights to try out if the channels would work as I wished for the other users, so I tried to remove myself from "root", channel 1 and 2 group menues - but it didn't help. I'm not located in any admin list, but still I got my admin rights and can't "act as a normal user" anymore.

Is there an easier way to handle this?

Both my questions are somewhat related. They're both problems with the "group" functions of the program I belive. It might be me who have understood something wrong and made some faults, but it's my first time trying the program and I'm here to learn :) Thanks alot for all help!

• Administrators

The problem with this group system is that we usually have a couple of "channels". Two main branch channels with one or two underchannels. But when you edit the members of one group, the group only gets changed in the specific room. This means I have to edit all 4 channels each time I want to change 1 person in 1 group because the Groups isn't global.

The ACLs, so channels, groups and permissions, are hierarchical.

That means you'll create and set a group in a channel and then inherit it to sub-channels or not.

So if you want a kinda-global type of groups, set them in your root channel. With inheritance all other channels can inherit these groups then (while you may still create channels which do not inherit groups or which override groups (add more members for specific channels etc)).

I wanted to remove my admin rights to try out if the channels would work as I wished for the other users

To prevent you from removing your/all admin permissions from the channel (nobody could edit or remove it) there are always some admin rights kept, maybe that's your issue?

If you remove the group I think your account is added as admin directly, or you are added to admin group for that chan, or sth.

What I would do is make a second test-account you can use to test permissions.

So you have your admin account to edit, and one to test.

That way you can also change his groups and permissions however you like without fucking up your account. :)