This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble Overlay does not work in TF2[MAC]

bubba345

I would very much like to use Mumble Overlay in TF2, but if I have mumble open when I launch TF2, TF2 crashes within 10 sec. Knowing that you need to have mumble open before you launch TF2 to use the Overlay, it contradicts itself and wont let me use it, because TF2 crashes if Mumble is already open. What I am forced to do is launch TF2, and when thats done, I then launch Mumble. But, as you see, Overlay will not work.

I am using Mac OS X Version 10.7.5.

Any help?

• 2 weeks later...

I have this issue as well. The original post doesn't seem to make clear if just having mumble open prior to launching TF2 causes the crash, and for me it doesn't. TF2 will only crash if I have the overlay enabled. I can provide the error thing that OSx provides of crash if that's at all useful to you.

edit: I tried the overlay with Minecraft and it works. The overlay works in Half Life 2, another source engine game like TF2. From my understanding it's an older version of the source engine, so I tried with Portal 2 (which is a more recent game). The overlay function works fine there.

Perhaps the October 26th patch has something to do with the crash?

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/October_26,_2012_Patch

That update added positional audio support for Mumble clients. This was also the exact day I started using mumble and attempted to use the overlay. Maybe the implementation of positional audio in TF2 is related to this? I don't understand why it wouldn't affect other source engine games though. Enabling or disabling positional audio has no effect on the crashing of TF2.

I don't really know what I'm talking about though, I doubt any of this has anything to do with the real cause.

• Administrators

The PA changes shouldn’t have anything to do with it.

As for Direct3D, some other changes were made that changed things with the overlay on windows.

As for OpenGL, I’m not aware of their changes.

As the update you linked to mentions at the top, it was a source engine update to TF2, DoD:S and HL2:DM.

Can you test with one of those other two - as those are the ones with the same source engine version?

So your TF2 crashes with the overlay enabled.

> The original post doesn't seem to make clear if just having mumble open prior to launching TF2 causes the crash, and for me it doesn't.

You mean your TF2 crashes whether Mumble is open before launching TF2, or launching Mumble after TF2?

The PA changes shouldn’t have anything to do with it.

As for Direct3D, some other changes were made that changed things with the overlay on windows.

As for OpenGL, I’m not aware of their changes.

As the update you linked to mentions at the top, it was a source engine update to TF2, DoD:S and HL2:DM.

Can you test with one of those other two - as those are the ones with the same source engine version?

So your TF2 crashes with the overlay enabled.

> The original post doesn't seem to make clear if just having mumble open prior to launching TF2 causes the crash, and for me it doesn't.

You mean your TF2 crashes whether Mumble is open before launching TF2, or launching Mumble after TF2?

Ah, sorry. I hadn't even read what I linked properly. I tried HL2:DM and it crashes as well.

I mean my TF2 crashes when mumble is open prior to starting TF2. It only crashes if the overlay is enabled though.

Which version of Mumble are you using? The overlay in the released 1.2.3a version is pretty unstable. On newer versions of Mac OS X I recommend you use the 1.2.4 snapshots.

1.2.3. I downloaded the 1.2.4 snapshot and it works great. Thanks for the fast support!

For anyone else stumbling upon this post in the future:

The snapshot is downloadable from this page http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Main_Page and the link for the snapshot is after the stable release download.

Once again, thanks! Thanks for the help and for the speed of the help and for providing such amazing software.