This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble Server Name

roweyourboat

Hello guys ,

Im a mumble noob and I wanted to know how to change my server name? Its currently named root which is pretty lame and wanted to name it something else.Ive logged in as superuser and clicked edit on the "root" name but for some reason Im unable to change the server name. Is the server name stored inside the .ini file?

Thanks!

• Administrators

The root channel name adjusts to the servers registration name if it is a public server and registered to the public server list (see the Murmur.ini).

(Not 100% sure that it has to be public, or if providing a registername but making it private (thus it not being reigistered to the public serverlist) would suffice.)

Ahh Im confused how I fix this? I didnt register the server as a public server I ran trhough the installation and it just happened to be named root. I assume it because I did the installation as root. If youd like you can connect to the server to check it out. The IP is 198.144.176.13 Port: 64738

EDIT

Id also like to make this a private server and not a public (private guild server)

Hmm So referencing the guide HERE http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Murmurguide#Starting_Murmur

Im going through user vi editor and Im changing all the fields and changing everything in the ini file and then :w saving it

Then I restart the machine but the changes don't appear to be taking effect. Does murmur have a restart function or something else that I need to do

Also please note that I have ensured that I removed the # sign from in front of the line. I will include a screen shot .

SCREENSHOT: http://imgur.com/eY8BT

• Administrators

As registerurl you will want to provide *your* url, not mumbles.

You did not specify a password.

Just quit/kill murmur and start it again for it to freshly read the ini file an use its settings. (From the ini in the executables folder, or as passed by the -ini parameter.)

One more question.

I was on the server today and a few people were complaining about the sound quality being very poor.

[8:19:31 AM] Server maximum network bandwidth is only 10 kbit/s. Audio quality auto-adjusted to 8 kbit/s (40ms)

Whats the highest possible sound quality for Mumble at the moment ?