This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble language translation formal or informal.

rawnar

I am working on a Dutch translation of mumble. Probably it is not needed for the understanding of mumble, as most Dutch people understand English quite well, but it will integrate nicer into a Dutch OS. ;-) I am halve way through the lines, but know I start to question if the translation needs to be formal or informal. The English word 'you' has multiple meanings and in most languages the separate meanings have different words. So the question is:"Does the mumble developers would like the program to give a formal or an informal impression to the user?"

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

• Administrators

We already stumbled over this when reworking the German translation. We chose the formal speech as the common denominator. The rational being that while most people probably would be ok with informal language they won't mind being addressed formally. On the other hand people who expect formal language might be alienated by informal language.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Brazilian, and I could certainly translate the UI to Portuguese.

I think that having several available languages on a program is always a nice feature. ;]

How would I go about translating it, though?

As in, would i have to download the source code and translate the text messages there, for example?

Are you using a specific tool?

Thanks!

• Administrators

We are using a tool provided by Qt for translations, it is called linguist. A good place to get started on translations is our wiki, especially: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Language_Translation . For windows you just have to download a single archive (.7z format, just in case: You can extract that using 7zip) which contains the files you have to translate as well as linguist.

Have fun.