This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Suggestions: True AFK channel and few more.

tarun80

Just adding in a few suggestions, one is similar to nmeadows suggestion of moving multiple users from one channel to another. Currently you have to move each user individually and it will have a notification for each user moved. Perhaps a mass move could be added (Ctrl+Click then drag users to another channel) to make moving multiple users easier and also perhaps make it so it could append who all joins the channel into a single sentence message in the log. Such as: "User 1, User 2, User 3 moved in from Channel_Name by Admin 1."

I'd also like to see the ability to have a true AFK channel where ALL audio messages become suppressed. Currently you can deny Speak, but people in the AFK channel can still hear when people connect, disconnect, join channel, etc. If possible, I'd like to see it where people joining the AFK channel are also automatically deafened as well based upon how you set up the permissions. So they would be able to be muted and deafened automatically when joining the AFK channel.

I noticed that in the murmur.sqlite for registered users it also says the last time/date the user was seen. Would it be possible to add this to the Registered Users list to the right of the names? Perhaps this can also have an auto-prune based upon inactivity?

I'd also like to see the ability to open a window and review the murmur.log file, much like you could do with Ventrilo. In Ventrilo it was loggrep which turned out to be very useful.

I've also heard that Drag Here will be shown only in Custom view. Can we perhaps have a toggle via checkbox option instead? I like my custom layout, however I do find the Drag Here a bit annoying and would love to be able to just disable it.

Last one for now, the ability to set the default channel via the ini. Such as DefaultChannel="Lounge".

Keep up the great work!

Edited by tarun80

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi there. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Dragging multiple users is something we should allow. Definitely something for the todo
  • The AFK channel thing is a bit tricky. Not sure we want to have a channel that can completely deaf the user. Might be abused.
  • Zuko has done some work on improving the userlist already iirc. I haven't had the time to review his patch yet but if we can use it you might see improvements there shortly after 1.2.4 .
  • I guess we could add something like that to the client. However you can already do that via say a webinterface if you really want to.
  • Making that configurable sounds reasonable. Just have to make sure we don't clutter the ui to much.
  • The defaultchannel can already be set with the ini. Or do you mean you want to be able to set it by name?

If you want us to consider these features for inclusion please enter them into at our feature tracker (you can find it at https://sourceforge.net/p/mumble/feature-requests/ ). Having them in the forums gives us a lot of duplicates and makes it very hard to find them later on. Especially if we can't immediatly start working on them (which usually is the case). You should try to find what you suggested in the tracker and add new tickets for stuff we haven't listed there yet. That way we have everything in a central location and they won't go missing :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reply, dd0t.

The AFK channel thing is a bit tricky. Not sure we want to have a channel that can completely deaf the user. Might be abused.

Unfortunately, everything has an opportunity to be abused. Even avatars which admins cannot currently remove. At least the server admins can control the settings for channels. ;)

The AFK channel is one of the top requested features the people who connect to my Mumble server have. Hearing people often connect and disconnect still gets broadcast into the AFK channel and they often have to come back to Deafen/Mute self to avoid hearing this.

The defaultchannel can already be set with the ini. Or do you mean you want to be able to set it by name?

And yes, for the default channel I did mean to have it set by name/string in the ini. This way people won't have to pull the .sqlite database, open it with an SQLite editor and find the channel name/ID number. Something to make it a bit easier/friendlier for users.

Unfortunately, identifying a channel via name is ambiguous. You can have several channels with the same name - on the same levels, or on separate levels in the channel tree.

Unless you do something like DefaultChannel ="Root\My\Nested\Channel"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Which works as long as you don’t allow backslashes in your channel name. Or you will have to escape them, which may introduce confusion for users not familiar with it.

Given, it’s probably easier to learn that than how to get the channel-id / trial-error.