This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

An equalizer to remove buzz

practicalshutin

Is there an equalizer that I could use to remove certain frequencies of buzz/hum on my headset?

There is a hum when I have my laptop plugged in. It goes away when I touch a metal part on the case, or when I unplug the power cord of the laptop. I've looked into it and can't find any good solutions.

So since mumble does use some sort of audio cleaning before it is broadcast to others, I wondered if there was something I could tweak to remove just the frequencies of my buzz noise.

If not inside mumble, is there another software you know of that will go between the hardware and mumble that can process the audio first?

Voice --> headset --> Windows --> audio software removes buzz --> mumble --> everyone else's computer

:?:

• Administrators

That's probably a ground-loop or AC hum you are hearing. Those are hardware things that cannot be solved by Mumble for the output. We can filter it on the input but that doesn't work on the output. If there's supposed to be nothing going out and it hums...well... ;)

Those issues are fairly common though. Maybe you can google a solution that works for your hardware.

I don't know how to tell if it is input or output.

I tried an analog headset and it didn't happen there. Only my USB headset has this buzz when plugging/unplugging the laptop. I tried finnicking with the wire the buzz is unaffected.

edit: I found a solution.. I plugged an audio cable from the microphone plug to my desktop's monitors, since they are nearby. This grounded the system so that buzz is gone. Since I don't use the mic jack anyway (usb headset) i disabled it in control panel so the only downside is having to unplug 1 more thing when moving the computer.

I still do think an equalizer is a good idea, especially for quieting background noise or for when a person sighs/sniffs and that high pitched blowing sound could be filtered out.

• Administrators

I'm not sure you can filter these types of noises with an equalizer. I'd expect them to be inside the normal range of human voice. Feel free to create a feature requests though. If there's enough interest / rationale built up it might happen.