This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Re-Naming my Mumble name

rex-is-drew

• Administrators

I'm sorry. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. There is no central user database for Mumble so we cannot change your nick on the server.

Once you are registered with a name you can either ask an admin on that server to rename your account or ditch your current certificate (the server remembers you used it for the account) and register a new account.

Or are you talking about the forums?

• 7 months later...

I am having this same problem.

I setup a fav server before logging and then logged in the fav server. It popped up with a box which I thought was the password since i had already typed a user name into the fav section so I typed the password in the box. Well now my user name is the password on the server. I thought i had fixed it by having the server admin change my name. However recently I tried logging into other servers and they are rejecting my correct user name and I bet they want me to type the old user name in.

When I tried to fix this the first time I removed mumble, re downloaded and then reinstalled. This do not fix the problem. I talked to the live tech support and they told me to delete a bunch of other files... I did and no change. When I reinstalled the server still demanded the first user name. At last thought the problem was fixed when the admin renamed me. It seems the rename only worked on that server.

So either the uninstall doesn't uninstall, mumble has a central user database, or something else. That being said, you say create a new account how do one do this?

• Administrators
I tried logging into other servers and they are rejecting my correct user name

The other server does not know anything about your username on other servers or anywhere else.

The server is the one deciding if your username is correct - either for logging in as an account, or if the characters being used are allowed on the server.

You should get different errors depending on what the actual issue with your username is.

I talked to the live tech support

We do not have a live tech support, so I do not know which you are referring to.

Notice that when uninstalling you have to option to also delete any settings.

So either

* Uninstall and keep setting - then obviously your favorite servers, previously entered usernames etc will still be there on a following install and launch of Mumble

* Uninstall with removing settings - then that stuff should be removed and not be known on subsequent installs

A favorite server also has a field for the username.

You can edit a favorite server in the connect dialog and change the username used for connecting there.

As for public servers, once you hit connect it will ask you for a username you want to use.

I tried logging into other servers and they are rejecting my correct user name

or if the characters being used are allowed on the server.

This may have been the problem doing some testing.

I talked to the live tech support

We do not have a live tech support, so I do not know which you are referring to.

Notice that when uninstalling you have to option to also delete any settings.

So either

* Uninstall and keep setting - then obviously your favorite servers, previously entered usernames etc will still be there on a following install and launch of Mumble

* Uninstall with removing settings - then that stuff should be removed and not be known on subsequent installs

A favorite server also has a field for the username.

You can edit a favorite server in the connect dialog and change the username used for connecting there.

As for public servers, once you hit connect it will ask you for a username you want to use.

Live tech support,

Goto mumble.com

Look in upper right corner of page for a box labeled "Live Mumble Support Online/Offline". That the tech support i was talking about.

PS thx for quick reply.