Mumble evolvement

Mumble about Mumble
kjw

Re: Mumble evolvement

Post by kjw »

modern android and ios clients are a requirement. Speakerphone on android would be nice. Plumble appears abandoned.

video would be interesting, but probably not terribly important.

The draw for me is that I can set up my own server, so in times like these when discord's servers are overloaded, I am not affected.

I also have a side project to try and replace dozens of PTT radios (like GMRS/FRS). The goal is to keep the server onsite, so no internet connection is required, just a wireless network. but as others have said, I'm probably not a good design target, because I have a budget and will be building embedded systems (handsets) to do everything over wifi, possibly lorawan.

Here's a feature request: if a user's mic is maxed out for 5 seconds, (i.e. bad feedback) auto mute?

As far as setting up mumble, breaking the setup down into pieces:
1- how does the user input the configuration information i.e. server name, port, password
2- how does the user input their own information i.e. nickname and password

Wherever possible, I suggest removing customizations, and setup login protocols such that as long as you get the server name port right, you get a understandable error message explaining what you need to do to activate the connection (i.e. get the password right)

kjw

Re: Mumble evolvement

Post by kjw »

Permissions to promote different users to admin or similar. an actual admin control panel; web front end for mumble would be a good gateway to make that happen. i.e. defaults of admin, manager, member. so if you make a server among friends, you can grant everyone the permission to create new channels as they see fit.

actually a web frontend would also allow far easier adoption by users: they won't need anything but a web browser, since browsers allow you to access the mic pretty easily these days.