Computer freezes

It crashed, it is bugged, ...

Computer freezes

Postby kanjata » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 am

Hello!
I installed Mumble 1.2.x and when I run it, my computer crashes. Similarly to the previous versions 1.1.x. I'm on Windows Seven Ultimate 64 and I use a sound card onboard Realtek ALC889. Thank you
kanjata

Re: Computer freezes

Postby kissaki » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:14 am

Could you describe "my computer crashes"?
MumPI: Your Mumble Web Interface in PHP
kissaki
Team member
Team member

Postby kanjata » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:39 pm

The computer freezes and forced to restart. But last night I could use it for a long session of play AION without worry. Then when I do an ALT TAB to go see something on the web, the computer was freezing.
kanjata

Postby hacst » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:05 pm

There is a good chance that updating all your drivers (especially graphics and sound) is able to solve your issues. Mumble itself cannot freeze your computer, only a faulty driver can do so.

If that does not help try disabling the overlay, it sometimes can trigger such driver bugs.
hacst
Team member
Team member

Postby kanjata » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:32 pm

I do not use the overlay and now I have an SLI GTX 285 with the latest Nvidia WHQL driver 196.21. Should I install the SLI patch, I have no doubt that this affects my problem. And side-board sound card, I have a Realtek driver with 2.42. I'm currently downloading the 2.43 now.
kanjata

Postby kanjata » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:58 pm

No third party programs affect Mumble? For everything there is to date and my computer freezes once the opening of Mumble a few minutes or even hours later. So it's not the hardware. I can try to downgrade my graphics driver to see what it changes
kanjata

Postby hacst » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Third party applications could, of course, affect Mumble. But we are not aware of any interactions causing what you described. If you did disable overlay then all that is left is bad input device drivers and audio drivers. So if you have any outdated drivers in these areas updating them might solve the issue. Bad drivers can also include something like (aim-)bots which emulate a input device to move your mouse for you, these "drivers" are often written very poorly and can crash your computer if mumble tries to use abilities that weren't correctly implemented.
hacst
Team member
Team member

Postby kanjata » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:45 pm

Finally it was the sound driver that is in question. I have the Windows 7 default temporary solution. And when I put the version 2.4x. My computer crashes to the use of Mumble. Is find a definitive solution
kanjata

Postby hacst » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:25 am

That's unfortunate. I guess you can either wait for your hw manufacturer to issue and update (maybe poking him a bit might help :lol: ) or use the default drivers. The default ones usually do not offer all the features of the full blown driver but I guess for a soundcard "it is working" might just be enough ;-) Good luck.
hacst
Team member
Team member

Return to Technical