Mumble URL using IP address

How to do...

Mumble URL using IP address

Postby Jupiter » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:46 am

Hi There,
I'm wondering if there is a way to have the "Copy URL" function use my local IP address rather than my computer hostname. I'm running mumble in a local network without a DNS server, and the Copy URL function just returns mumble://<computername>.local.?title=MumbleServer&version=1.2.0, so of course nobody else on the local network can follow that link.
This is on a Windows 8 machine.

Thanks for your help!
Jupiter

Re: Mumble URL using IP address

Postby fwaggle » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:02 am

What are you using to connect with?

I'm pretty sure the code just uses whatever you connected to. For example if I put the IP address in my URL then connect to it, then I pick "copy URL", I get the IP address back. Same if I put the hostname in, it copies the URL with the hostname in it.

Editing the code to support what is effectively split-horizon DNS at best, and misconfigured DNS at worst would needlessly complicate it, IMHO.
Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.
fwaggle
Team member
Team member

Re: Mumble URL using IP address

Postby Jupiter » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:43 am

Ah, I see, I thought the url came from some setting in murmur, I didn't realize it just used whatever mumble connected with. Thanks for the help!
Jupiter

Return to Usage