SuperUser gives "Wrong certificate or password for regist.."

It crashed, it is bugged, ...

SuperUser gives "Wrong certificate or password for regist.."

Postby unsane » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:36 pm

I set up a Murmur server, with SuperUser password and the whole bit, following the guide. I created a user account and successfully joined the Mumble server.

However, if i try to connect using the SuperUser username with correct password, i get "Wrong certificate or password for registered user. If you are certain this user is protected by a password please retry. Otherwise abort and check your certificate and username."

What is the problem here?
unsane

Re: SuperUser gives "Wrong certificate or password for regis

Postby kissaki » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Hello there

The SuperUser account can not have an assigned account certificate. So if you indeed log in with username superuser, it should ignore the certificate and try to authenticate you with the password you provide.
Are you sure you are using the correct password? Where did you get it from? Did you try setting a new password with -supw and then restarting the server? (Note that if you emit the virtual server id it will use ID 1 - which is fine if you only use one virtual server in the server process, and did not start/configure an additional one).

Sadly, I'm not sure if a wrong superuser password also leads to a "wrong ... password for registered user", which would be a suboptimal and confusing error message (as superuser is not really a 'registered' user account).
But I would expect it to be different; especially with the note to check the username...
MumPI: Your Mumble Web Interface in PHP
kissaki
Team member
Team member

Postby unsane » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:43 am

kissaki wrote:Are you sure you are using the correct password?

Quite sure, yes.

kissaki wrote:Where did you get it from?

It's my server, i created the password moments before, using "murmur.exe -supw Password_of_your_choice", as directed in the aforementioned guide.

kissaki wrote:Did you try setting a new password with -supw and then restarting the server?

No, since i had just created the server and password, and started the server, it seems odd that i would need to again set a new password and restart the server. Also it presumably would ask for the old password before letting me make a new one anyway... Right? :P

kissaki wrote:(Note that if you emit the virtual server id it will use ID 1 - which is fine if you only use one virtual server in the server process, and did not start/configure an additional one).

I don't know what any of this means. :P I don't think it was referenced in the guide. Presumably i have one server.
unsane

Postby kissaki » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:29 pm

it presumably would ask for the old password before letting me make a new one anyway... Right?

No. The -supw command line argument does not ask for a password, it just sets the password.
It is the fallback. The context is that if you have command line access you could do anything to the server anyway. So you can set the superuser password.

No, since i had just created the server and password, and started the server, it seems odd that i would need to again set a new password and restart the server.

Well, I'm not sure what I can suggest to you then. After setting the superuser password with -supw you are/should be able to log in with username superuser and the password you set.
MumPI: Your Mumble Web Interface in PHP
kissaki
Team member
Team member

Postby unsane » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:34 am

Well, the server seems to be working fine despite being locked out of SuperUser, so i guess i can live without a resolution to the bug. If i ever need SuperUser i'll reset the password or whatnot and hope that that time it doesn't complain.
unsane

Return to Technical