ios version nearly perfect, until I tried bluetooth earbuds

Everything related to the official iOS Mumble client
jtweigandt

ios version nearly perfect, until I tried bluetooth earbuds

Post by jtweigandt »

On bluetooth, the microphone just produces choppy output. Tried 3 different brands of bluetooth headsets, and earbuds.. all the same.
Various settings in the preferences don't seem to clear this up. Interestingly, the plumble free app on android had the same problem with the same hardware UNTIL... I went into preferences and it has a half duplex mode that youu can set for push to talk, and voila... clear as a bell.. same bluetooth hardware. Assuming the same codebase is used as a starting point for both, I would think this would be achievable for Mumble as well? Looks like the audio upstream and downstream on the bluetooth connection are trying to share and colliding.

It's not mission critical, but would be nice to use my micro earbud that looks like a little hearing aid, instead of a boom mic headset, or wired earbuds where the inline mic changes orientation and rubs on clothing etc.

retravision

Re: ios version nearly perfect, until I tried bluetooth earbuds

Post by retravision »

Hi. I encounter the same problem this week, with bluetooth earbuds. I have posted with a few more details, awaiting moderation.

Did you manage to find a solution in iOS (sending and receiving) that preserves full duplex?

Thanks!

donmacinnes

Post by donmacinnes »

Any solution to this issue?

N8LHG

Post by N8LHG »

jtweigandt wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 01:49
On bluetooth, the microphone just produces choppy output. Tried 3 different brands of bluetooth headsets, and earbuds.. all the same.
Various settings in the preferences don't seem to clear this up. Interestingly, the plumble free app on android had the same problem with the same hardware UNTIL... I went into preferences and it has a half duplex mode that youu can set for push to talk, and voila... clear as a bell.. same bluetooth hardware. Assuming the same codebase is used as a starting point for both, I would think this would be achievable for Mumble as well? Looks like the audio upstream and downstream on the bluetooth connection are trying to share and colliding.

It's not mission critical, but would be nice to use my micro earbud that looks like a little hearing aid, instead of a boom mic headset, or wired earbuds where the inline mic changes orientation and rubs on clothing etc.
Just an idea. I don't know if its factual or not, just sounded logical in my head...

I assume you are connected via wireless internet either by your phones xg service, or wifi. Your Bluetooth is also wireless. Could there be an interference between the two radios? Or perhaps your phone is multitasking between the two different frequencies on the same radio causing a jittery response? If that theory is true, may not be mumble at all, but a limit of the hardware. Just a thought?

jtweigandt

Post by jtweigandt »

Not sure what changed... the app or the earbuds, but same phone ... I got some new Amazon echo buds and they seem to work with the current ios and mumble app I use them in push to talk mode..